An Online GMAT™ to Support Business School Goals
The GMAT™ online exam is a remote proctored version of the of the test center-based GMAT™ exam designed to help candidates meet their application goals – from the comfort of their home. Candidates have the option to take the GMAT™ exam online or at a test center – or both!
Starting May 20, the enhanced GMAT™ online exam opens and provides candidates with even more choice and flexibility to bring their best on test day, and confidently meet their business school goals. The enhanced GMAT online exam further aligns with the test center exam with the following features added:
- Analytical Writing Assessment (AWA). Demonstrate writing and critical thinking skills with the addition of the Analytical Writing Assessment (AWA) section.
- Select exam section order. Candidates can choose which section order to take the exam in.
- Two 8-minute optional breaks. Candidates will have the option to take advantage of two breaks to prepare themselves for the next section of the exam.
- View unofficial score immediately. Unofficial scores will be displayed on the screen after exam completion so they can plan their next steps.
- Schedule GMAT™ online exam appointments up to 6 months in advance. Candidates will be presented with GMAT™ online exam appointments on a rolling 6-month basis.
GMAT™ Online Exam Structure
The GMAT™ online exam measures the verbal, quantitative, integrated reasoning, and critical thinking skills that are most relevant for graduate business education.
- Integrated Reasoning—measures the ability to analyze data and evaluate information presented in multiple formats
- Quantitative Reasoning—measures the ability to analyze data and draw conclusions using reasoning skills
- Verbal Reasoning—measures the ability to read and understand written material, to evaluate arguments and to correct written material to conform to standard written English
- Analytical Writing Assessment—measures the ability to think critically and to communicate ideas
The GMAT™ online exam includes the Quantitative, Verbal, Integrated Reasoning and the Analytical Writing Assessment (AWA) section. Each section contains the same number of questions and time per section as the current test center-based GMAT™ exam.
The sections are as follows:
- 31 Quantitative Reasoning/ 62 minutes
- 36 Verbal Reasoning/ 65 minutes
- 12 Integrated Reasoning/ 30 minutes
- 1 Analytical Writing Assessment/ 30 minutes
The Section Order for the GMAT™ online exam:
Total Exam Time
The total exam time is 3 hours 7 minutes, not including two optional 8-minute breaks.
The GMAT™ online Exam costs $250 and the registration fees include unlimited score sending. Candidates can reschedule their exam appointment any time before their scheduled exam time for a fee. The cancellation fees for the GMAT™ online exam are based on advance notice of the cancellation.
To enable comparability, the GMAT™ online exam will have the same type and number of items and section times as the exam administered in test centers. It will also use the same scoring algorithm and score scale for the Section Scores and Total Score as the test center-based version.
When candidates receive their official score report, they will see individual section scores as well as the total score on their exam. Candidates will also be able to view the percentiles of their score in their score report. GMAT™ online exam scores are valid for 5 years and will count towards candidates' 12-month and lifetime GMAT™ limits - effective September 23, 2020
We have introduced new flexibility with the GMAT™ online exam that gives candidates control to decide when they are ready to send their score to programs. Included with the GMAT™ online exam fee, candidates will have the opportunity to first view their official score and then choose to send their score to selected programs. In addition, all score sending is complimentary, and there is no cost to the candidate to send their GMAT™ online exam score to any program.
Official scores will be sent to candidates via email (to the email on their registration record) within 7 business days of completing their exam.
Official scores will be made available to schools within 24 hours of the candidate’s request.
Availability of the GMAT™ Online Exam
We are committed to providing the GMAT™ online exam as an option to support candidates' graduate business goals. Candidates can schedule an online exam appointment up to 24 hours before an available testing slot. New appointments are available on a rolling basis
The GMAT™ online exam is available in most locations, with the exception of: Mainland China, Cuba, Iran, North Korea, and Sudan due to regulatory and local data privacy rules. Please note that currently proctoring support for the GMAT™ online exam is only offered in English.
The GMAT™ online exam can be taken on both Windows and Mac personal computers and laptops. Learn more about specific system requirements here.
If test centers in candidates' location are open and they feel safe accessing a test center facility, candidates are encouraged to do so. We are closely following local government directives to ensure the health and safety of our test-takers and test center staff. All our test centers that are currently open have enhanced safety, social distancing, and hygiene practices in place.
Test center-based GMAT™ exams are also available. To maximize your candidates' needs compare which GMAT™ exam delivery would help candidates accomplish their business school goals.
Managing the GMAT™ Online exam
Rescheduling or Cancelling the Exam
Candidates can reschedule or cancel their exam appointment at any time before their scheduled appointment by logging into their mba.com account.
Starting September 23, 2020, candidates may take the GMAT™ Online exam up to two times, and will count toward the yearly and lifetime limits for the GMAT exam. Verifiable technical issues will not count toward the retake limit.