This Fall, the Graduate Management Admission Council invited undergrads in the US to think lean and dip their toes in the waters of business. Starting with the back of a napkin, we wanted to help college students connect the dots between entrepreneurship and a graduate business education, all while addressing common trends among current students: student debt and side hustles to make ends meet.
We’ve completed two rounds of business submissions, with five winners per round, each taking home a prize package of $500 that includes startup funds and marketing strategy consultation. These entrepreneurial students are coming up with businesses that connect people via social platforms and address representation in consumer products, among other things.
We are delighted to see the creativity coming from these schools and can’t wait to see the resulting pantheon of businesses started this year. Hope to see your school represented in this diverse group of business-minded young people! If you’d like to uncover brilliant entrepreneurs on your campus, reach out to your GMAC rep for information on how to promote “Mind Your Biz” on your campus.
Stay tuned for the final winners in December!
Round 1 Winners
- Connor O’Brien, Babson College – Youfluencer, micro-influencer marketing
- Tien Dang, Texas Tech University – Pool, rideshare service
- Tirthankar Ghosh, Salisbury University – Auxilia Funds, income share agreement program
- Ashlee Dillon, Weber State University – DisABILITY dolls, custom dolls with different skin tones, body types, abilities
- Nick Lange, University of Missouri – Thread Count, social platform to upcycle closet
Round 2 Winners
- Esther, SUNY New Paltz - Beautiful Threads, apparel
- Ashley, UC Davis - Burns Begone!, sunscreen machine
- Daniel, University of Hartford - C.H. Bracelets, modern bracelets for men
- Jack, Indiana University - Hyred, odd jobs for college students
- Victor, UC Davis - VION Clothing, shirts with customizable shirts with Velcro patches
Round 3 Winners
- Christopher Matthew Barber, University of Arkansas - Barb's Burgers, burger restaurant
- Flynn LaVrar, University of Alabama - Crimson Cotton, t-shirt company
- Evelyn Wan, UCLA - Grain Bean, healthy monthly subscription box
- Isabelle Hanson, Fordham - Shop365, buying and selling designer clothes
- Taylor Dillon, Weber State University - College Student Central, student platform for college students to connect
Take a look at our winner's gallery.